outdoor adventure therapy
Healing what’s inside, by getting outside
At Choice House, we’re fortunate to have the great Rocky Mountains in our backyard, which gives us some amazing opportunities to get outside for revitalizing fresh air and an abundance of soul-cleansing activities. Choice House, a Colorado outdoor therapy treatment center, provides rehab for alcohol and drug abuse for men in both our residential treatment and intensive outpatient program.
Spending time outside is good for just about anyone, but our collective experience has shown the outdoors provides a space for healing and connection for those in rehab and early recovery from drug and alcohol abuse and addiction, which is why we’ve made outdoor adventure therapy a core component of the Choice House comprehensive recovery program in Boulder, Colorado. At times, something as simple as a little physical exertion proves to be very effective at moving someone out of the circular confines of their conscious thought and into the present. We know each of our clients have their own obstacles to overcome and we find that the outdoor experience provides a therapeutic channel for our men.
The outdoors also provides a space for us to connect with each other. Drug addiction and alcoholism isolate us from one another, and Choice House, a Colorado outdoor therapy treatment center in Boulder, is committed to breaking this cycle of addiction and isolation with rehab for alcohol and drug abuse. Before our Drug and alcohol addiction many of us loved being outside with family and friends. Before our addiction, we went skiing, snowboarding, hiking, golfing, fishing and all of the other amazing things our great state has to offer to us and so often our addiction robs us of our pursuits and cherished moments in life.
Everything we do at Choice House is about reclaiming connection, relationships and love in our lives. We believe this is what we need to move forward and progress into our recovery. The outdoor adventure therapy component allows our men one more therapeutic site to build the foundation of their new life and break the bonds of alcohol and drug addiction.
Something for every season
During the bright Colorado winters (which include lots of crisp, sunny days with just enough of the quiet, contemplative snow days), you can often find us:
- Heading to nearby Eldora Mountain to experience the rush of downhill skiing and snowboarding
- Visiting Rocky Mountain National Park to enjoy peaceful snowshoe treks in the trees or some heart-pumping cross-country skiing
- Taking a trip to Estes Park to work on our cross-country skiing technique or join friends for a scenic snowshoe hike in the woods
During the spring, summer, and fall months, we like to:
- Lace up our climbing shoes to scale some single pitches in Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park
- Grab the water bottles and hiking boots to explore the trails around the Boulder Flatirons peaks
- Unleash our inner Frisbee competitors for a friendly game of disc golf
- Brush up on our kickball skills or just kick back with a more leisurely pursuit like cornhole
Special occasion activities
In addition, every other week we build in a visit to the Song of the Wolf Healing Center in Bailey, Colorado, a nonprofit organization for abused, unwanted, confiscated, and surrendered wolf-dogs, to experience the human-animal bond for ourselves. We find the moments we share with these animals to be extremely impactful for our men as they have an opportunity to face the fear and self-doubt that so many suffering addicts and alcoholics experience.